Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

If you would like to make an appointment please dial 866-892-9211 or you may call 864-226-2273 or visit

Our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free income tax assistance to thousands of individuals and families across the Upstate.

Sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), VITA provides free income tax preparation assistance to individuals and families with a household income of approximately $60,000 a year or less. In addition to providing free tax preparation, VITA works to ensure everyone in the community receives all of the tax credits and deductions for which they are eligible. The program is supported by volunteers. 

Many in our community don’t have access to affordable tax preparation services or are unaware of programs like Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) that could put thousands of dollars back in their hands and into our local economy. VITA helps taxpayers obtain valuable and eligible tax credits and deductions, especially EITC, Child Tax Credit, Education Tax Credits and Child Care tax deductions. We also address more complicated aspects of tax law such as the Affordable Care Act and education credits and deductions. Anyone who files a basic tax return (Available services) can have taxes prepared at one of the VITA sites. In addition to access to these credits and deductions,  taxpayers also save by avoiding the high cost of paid tax preparation. 

In 2017, the VITA coalition (which includes United Ways of Greenville, Pickens, Spartanburg, Anderson, Oconee and Laurens counties) prepared more than 10,300 tax returns, saving $1.8 million in tax preparation fees and bringing approximately $13.5 million in tax refunds to the Upstate.

With this growing coalition, including faith-based, public and private organizations, our goal is to help more individuals and families achieve greater financial stability with our free tax preparation services.



• Social Security cards and/or ITIN cards for taxpayer, spouse and dependents listed on the return
• Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse (if married filing jointly)
• Birth dates for taxpayer, spouse and dependents
• All income statements: W-2, 1099, 1099-R, Social Security Benefits Statement and other income sources
• Tuition Statement (1098-T) and related expenses from college or technical school
• Statement from Child Care Provider (includes total paid and tax ID number)
• Affordable Care Act Statements: Form 1095-A, B or C
• A copy of last year’s return, if available
• Bank account number and routing number (for direct deposit of any refund)

In partnership with AIM.

If you would like to make an appointment please dial 866-892-9211 or you may call 864-226-2273 or visit